Ready? The 3Rs of preparing your organization for the future
The world is shifting and it’s fast and furious. The world is more connected every day. Global challenges are multiplying – and the institutions that we expect to take care of these issues can’t do it alone. Are you – and your organization – ready for this world? If not, you had better get ready – if you don’t rethink your business, someone else will.
From interviews with 156 CEOs and senior leaders of organizations from around the world and our work with top teams of leading companies, this book offers insights and practical tools for leaders preparing their businesses, and themselves, for the future. The focus is on what actions can be taken today to prepare – including how to bridge the gap between delivering today and succeeding in the future. Are you ready?
Authors: Thomas W. Malnight, Tracey S. Keys, Kees van der Graaf
Business leaders today live in two worlds, the immediate and the long-term. Given intense and growing pressures for immediate results, many leaders are caught up in a short-term trap, and many organizations are becoming exhausted with activity. But is this activity really preparing them for the future, or are they just trying to hold onto the past?
On the other side, there are fundamental trends reshaping the world in which business will compete in the future. These changes include falling boundaries between industries (e.g., with banks competing with telecommunications firms), a shifting economic center of gravity, and changing expectations – or demands – from consumers, employees and even society as a whole. Incremental change from current business models and mindsets will not adequately prepare businesses for this future.
So the question facing leaders today is how to prepare their organizations for the future, while continuing to deliver current results. This challenge is the focus of Ready? The 3Rs of Preparing Your Organization for the Future. Based on interviews with 156 CEOs and other leaders from developed and high growth markets, the book highlights 5 major challenges facing senior business leaders today:
- Bridging the gap: Understand and address the causes of the short- vs long-term trap in your organization
- Rethinking your playing field: Analyze the trends reshaping your future and define the implications on your business
- Redefining your ambition: Address the need to clarify your vision and purpose as fundamental building blocks for preparing for the future
- Reshaping how you work: Highlight the use of two directional thinking to clarify your “sprints” and “marathons”, explore the need to move from transactional to a relational mindset in your interactions, and move from an organization based on complacency to one with the courage, capacity and commitment to challenge and move your organization forward.
- The 3Rs of preparing yourself for the future: Understand and address the challenges facing you as a leader in preparing yourself for the future.
Please note the book is available in print or Kindle versions from Amazon (not via this website), including:
The book is also available through leading bookstores worldwide.
See the Ready? website for more resources, interviews and news.